Negotiations


The discussion last evening, before dinner. A lot of whining and crying involved.

Avery: I want a chocolate star (pronounced by Avery, 'stah').
M: Avery, you need to have growing foods first.
Avery: No, I want a chocolate star first.
M: How about spinach fettuccine?
Avery: No, just a chocolate stah.
M: Five bites of the fettuccine, and then you can have a star.
Avery: NO. I don't like fettuccine. I want just a star. NOW.
M: Ok, how about a yogurt? If you have a yogurt, you can have a star.
Avery: TWO stars.
M: No, you can't have two stars.
Avery: I have a yogurt, and then I have two stars.
M: No, just one star.
Avery: If I eat one BIG WHOLE yogurt, I get TWO stars.
M: Ok, two stars. But you have to eat the whole yogurt.
Avery: AND Sesame Street.
M: What?
Avery: I get two stars and Sesame Street.
M: No, Avery, you don't get to watch Sesame Street. It's time for story time. You need to eat your yogurt, and then you can have two stars.
Avery: If I eat yogurt, I want A LOT of stars. A LOT of stars. And Sesame Street.

A lot of crying and screaming here.

M: Ok, let's eat the yogurt.
Avery: And I get a lot of stars?
M: No, two stars only.
Avery: Three stars.
M: No, only two.

...finally, he settled, but seriously...this kid is an amazing negotiator. The sly addition of "Sesame Street" was pretty clever. And he kept upping the anty, and held out for quite a while. Totally impressive, though I am not looking forward to what this becomes during the teen years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Galloping and Pumpkin Rides

A New Food Every Three Days...