Negotiations

We've begun negotiating, and so has Avery.
A few days ago, Avery met a new friend, Finn, age 4, at the park. Finn negotiated with his mom to play for five more minutes with Avery. When five minutes were up, Avery asked Finn's mom for "More minutes, please."
Frequently, when offered a sweet treat, "only one!", Avery will ask, "how about two?" Two is really the biggest number he knows. One, two or many.
This morning, we did some negotiation getting dressed. I wanted Avery to put on a new beachy sweater. He resisted, until I told him that people who drive jeeps like to wear sweaters like this. He is now wearing the sweater and we're both happy. I am not sure that this is the best tactic, nor am I sure what I am teaching him here, but he needed to wear a sweater this morning when it was chilly, and, well, it worked!
Comments